Photo Dynamic Therapy
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy for:
- Removing precancerous skin lesions
- Preventing skin cancer
- Improving wrinkles
- Improving pores
- Improving skin texture
- Improving pigmentation
- Treating moderate to severe cystic acne
- Treating sebaceous hyperplasia
The science behind the treatment
We know you will not settle for anything except the best skin and acne treatment in Los Angeles, and we’re ready to offer it to you. For mild acne scarring, one option we offer is Blue Light with Levulan — a type of photodynamic therapy (PDT). This treatment consists of the topical application of Levulan (aminolevulinic acid) combined with Blue Light, a specialized blue light treatment. Levulan is a substance that occurs naturally in the body in small amounts. After it is applied and absorbed into the skin, it is converted into a potent photosensitizer: protophorphyrin IX. Because Levulan absorbs into actinic keratoses and sebaceous glands, it selectively targets them. The blue light then activates these protophorphyrins which leads to shrinkage of these tissues. By shrinking the sebaceous glands, acne is improved. Come to us for the latest in adult acne treatments.
Information about the treatments
Some patients will improve after just 1 treatment. Several treatments (usually 2-4) are necessary to significantly clear moderate-to-severe acne and actinic keratoses. Treatments are spaced 4 weeks apart. Acne may stay clear (be in remission) for 6-12 months. Results will vary among individuals. Visits consist of application of the Levulan, waiting while the Levulan to absorb into the skin (30-60 minutes for faces and 5 hours or longer for other areas), and then sitting under Blue Light for 8-16 minutes or more per area. Except for mild stinging or burning, treatments are usually painless.
- Before your treatment the area must be completely clean without makeup, creams, or lotions.
- It is extremely important that you stay out of direct and indirect sun for 48 hours after your treatment! Your skin will be sensitized to the sun and you can get severely sunburned. Use a sunscreen with a SPF of 30-50 even when indoors.
- You may be red following the treatment for several hours to several days. You may have a sun-burned look for 1-7 days. Light peeling can occasionally occur, which may last 7-10 days. Swelling may occasionally occur, especially around the eyes. Blisters and scabbing can occur if you do not follow directions. Call our office if you experience blisters or scabbing.
- If your skin stings indoors, stay away from bright lights and windows.
- If your skin feels uncomfortable, or to reduce swelling, apply cold compresses or ice packs as needed. Take Tylenol or Advil if needed.
- Continue to wear sunscreens and a hat for 2 weeks after each treatment.
- You should see the full effect of your treatment within 30 days.
Combining Intense Pulsed Light (IPL or Photo Facial) with Blue Light and Levulan for actinic damage.You can dramatically increase your results by combining an IPL treatment with Blue Light with Levulan treatments. Not only will it resolve more actinic keratoses, but your skin will also look and feel better. Many patients receive significant cosmetic improvement to their skin when IPL is added. This treatment also improves redness, brown spots, and texture. Don’t wait to receive excellent cosmetic anti-aging skin treatments.